Senator Jones is working tirelessly to address the issues Alabamians face. In particular, Senator Jones has been a leading voice in the effort to protect healthcare, military families, Alabama workers, LGBTQ communities, and civil rights.
Senator Jones has fought hard for Alabama in the Senate
Highlights of his legislative agenda include:
- The Rural Health Liaison Act, a bill designed to improve rural healthcare by boosting communication and efficiency. Jones introduced the act, which had bipartisan support and was signed into law as part of the 2018 Farm Bill.
- The bipartisan Civil Rights Cold Case Act, which allows for the public release of government records related to unsolved civil rights cases. Jones led sponsorship of the bill; it was signed into law in 2019.
- Leading the effort to eliminate the Military Widow’s Tax — a loophole in the current law that robs military widows and widowers of the full benefits they are entitled to after losing a military spouse to a service-related incident. Jones introduced the Military Widow’s Tax Elimination Act of 2019, which the Senate received with overwhelming bipartisan support.
- Alongside Senate colleagues, Jones helped secure millions of dollars in increased funding for HBCUs.
- The Equality Act, which would protect the LGBTQ community from discrimination in the workplace, housing, public schools, and other settings. Doug proudly cosponsored this legislation and took to the Senate floor to advocate on its behalf.
In addition, Senator Jones remains committed to
- Medicaid expansion in Alabama, which could bring healthcare to as many as 340,000 Alabamians, boost our state’s economy by $2.7 billion annually, and generate much-needed funds for our rural hospitals.
- Protecting the 1 in 3 Alabamians who live with preexisting conditions. By continuing to defend the Affordable Care Act, we can prevent hard-working Alabamians from being denied coverage or seeing their premiums suddenly increase.
- Curbing Trump’s reckless trade war, which is hurting ordinary Alabama workers and farmers.
- Expanding voting rights and voter protections. The Senator endorsed a bill earlier this year that includes measures for same-day voter registration and addressing voter suppression.